Bartel Artu was born in approximately 1787 [per Bettinger 1834 census] 1791 [per Mariental 1850 & 1857 censuses). He served in Napoleon's army and fought against the Russians. He was captured by the Russians, and in 1812, was settled in the Volga German colony of Bettinger. He is recorded there on the 1834 Census of Bettinger in Household No. 129 along with a note that he had left the colony. He is then recorded on the 1850 Census of Mariental in Household No. 302 and on the 1857 Census of Mariental in Household No. 332.
Over the years, this surname seems to have morphed from Artu to Orth.
- 1834 Census of Bettinger.
- 1834 Census of Mariental.
- 1850 Census of Mariental.
- 1857 Census of Mariental.
- Belousov, S.V. "Prisoners of war of Napoleon's army in the Volga region: the arrangement, content, relationships with the local population." Bulletin of the Samara State University, No. 1 (Samara, Russia: Samara State University, 2006): 48-55.
Entry recording Bartel Artu on the 1834 Census of Bettinger.
Source: Brent Mai.