Johann Conrad Philippi, son of Johann Georg Philippi & Anna Eva Rudolph, was born 5 May 1723 in Fauerbach. He married Anna Barbara Keller on 18 February 1749. They had at least one daughter, Maria, who was born about 1749. Philippi next married on 25 May 1758 to Susanna Margaretha Wagner, and they had a daughter named Anna. On 1 May 1760, Philippi married again, this time to Anna Maria Sauer of Niederwöllstadt. This union also produced a daughter, Elisabeth, who was born about 1761, and a son, Johann, born about 1763.
Konrad Philippi, a farmer, his wife Anna, and children (Maria, age 17½; Anna, age 8; Elisabeth, age 5; Johann, age 3) arrived from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766 aboard the galliot Anna Catharina under the command of Johann Joachim Janson.
Conrad Philippi, his wife Anna Catrina, and shcildren (Anna Elisabeth, age 18; Anna Elisabeth [again], age 8; Elisabeth, age 5¾; Nicolaus, age 3) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767 along with a note that son Nicolaus died en route.
Johann Conrad's son died along the journey from Oranienbaum to the German colonies on the Volga. The remaining Philippi family members arrived in Ernestinendorf on 3 August 1767, but by the time the 1767 census of Ernestinendorf was taken, Johann Conrad's third wife had also died. He is recorded there in Household No. 11 as a widower along with his three surviving daughters.
He moved to Basel in 1769. Daughters Anna Christina and Anna Elisabeth married men from Biberstein in 1774 and are recorded in Biberstein on the 1798 census in Household Nos. Bb38 and Bb05 respectively.
There are no known surviving male lines of this Philippi family among the Volga German colonies.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bb05, Bb38, Mv0559.
- Mai, Brent Alan, trans. & ed. Transport of the Volga Germans from Oranienbaum to the Colonies on the Volga: 1766-1767 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1998): entries 5077-5082.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 398.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3910.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #6046-6051.