There are two Poppe families from Basel. They are assumed to be father and son, but further research is needed to confirm this relationship.
(1) Widower Christian Poppe and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Basel in Household No. Bs13.
Heinrich Christian Poppe and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Basel in Household No. 22
(2) In 1790, Johann Gottlieb Poppe moved from Basel to Zürich.
Gottlieb Poppe from Basel and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Zürich in Household No. Zr04.
Nikolaus Poppe, son of Gottlieb Poppe and his daughters are recorded on the 1834 census of Zürich in Household No. 113 along with a note that Nikolaus had died there in 1820.
There are no known surviving male lines of this family in Zürich.
- 1834 Basel Census (Household No. 22).
- 1834 Zürich Census (Household No. 113).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bs14, Zr04, Mv0313.