There are two Raab families that settled in the Volga German colony of Balzer on 18 July 1767. They are both from the German village of Düdelsheim, but their relationship to each other is not known at this time.
(1) Johann Heinrich Raab, son of Luther [per Bonner] Anton [per Decker] Raab & Anna Elisabeth Reichard, was baptized in Düdelsheim on 29 May 1735. He married in Büdingen on 14 April 1766 to Magdalena Reibert from Mochstadt.
Heinrich Raab, a farmer, and his family arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 July 1766 aboard a packet-boat under the command of Midshipman Mankensey. They are recorded on the 1767 census of Balzer in Household No. 49.
The Raab and Ochsenhirt (Messer) families are first cousins, as their mothers (née Reichard) are sisters.
(2) Johannes & Anna Maria Raab, along with their daughter [Anna] Elisabeth and son-in-law Hermann Fecht arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 July 1766 aboard a Russian packet-boat under the command of Lieutenant Pyotr Malinkov. They are recorded on the 1767 census of Balzer in Household No. 50. Anna Elisabeth Raab had been baptized in Düdelsheim on 4 July 1745.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bz079.
- Mai, Brent Alan, trans. & ed. Transport of the Volga Germans from Oranienbaum to the Colonies on the Volga: 1766-1767 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1998): Entries 6379-6380.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt. German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #532.
- Müller, Hanno. Familienbuch Trais-Horloff, Inheiden, Utphe, Kreis Giessen (Darmstadt: Hessische Familiengeschichtliche Vereinigung, 1997): 322.
- Düdelsheim parish register (LDS Intl Film #1201789).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 85.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #1214, #1222.