Johann Jacob Ruppel, son of Nikolaus Ruppel, was born 27 June 1733 in Schwarz bei Alsfeld. Anna Elisabeth Ulbig, daughter of Johann Heinrich & Anna Katharina Ulbig, was born 6 July 1737 in Hopfgarten.
The marriage of Joh. Jacob Rüppel [sic] from Schwartz in the district of Alsfeld and Anna Eliesabetha [sic] Ubrig [sic] is recorded in the parish register of Büdingen on 12 April 1766.
Johann Jakob Ruppel, a farmer, and his wife Anna Elisabeth arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766 aboard the pink Cargo under the command of Lieutenant Moses Davydov.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Müller on 16 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 6.
In 1790, Jakob Ruppel and family moved from Müller to Stephan. The 1798 census of Kraft records Johannes Ruppel from Müller in Household No. Kf46.
Johann Christian Ruppel from Stephan and his family are recorded on the 1857 census of Gnadentau.
Georg Adam Ruppel form Stephan and his family are recorded on the 1857 census of Friedenberg.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Johann Jakob Ruppel came from the German region of Darmstadt. The 1767 census records that Jakob Ruppel came from the German village of Schwarz bei Alsfeld in the Darmstadt region.
- 1857 Friedenberg Census.
- 1857 Gnadentau Census.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Kf46, Sp18, Mv1802.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt. German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) : Origins and Destinations (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #527.
- Parish register of Hopfgarten.
- Parish register of Schwarz bei Alsfeld.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 176.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #4140.