Johann Ulrich Schaufler, son of Andreas Schaufler, was born about 1730/1731 in Grossgartach, a town 7 kilometers west of Heilbronn [in 1970, Grossgartach was administratively merged with the nearby village of Schluchtern to form the town of Leingarten]. He married on 13 January 1756 to Justina Krebs, daughter of Johannes & Johanna Krebs, in the Evangelical (Lutheran) Church in Ehrstädt, northwest of Grossgartach. Justina had been born on 14 July 1733 and baptized on 16 July 1733 in the Evangelical Church in Bretten, about 40 kilometers southwest of Leingarten, just outside of Karlsruhe. They had a daughter, Sophia Regina Margaretha Schaufler, who was born in Ehrstädt on 12 November 1757, and who probably died before 1762. They also had a son, David, who was born in 1761.
Johann Ulrich, his wife, his son David, along with his mother-in-law Johanna and his sister-in-law Elisabetha Krebs immigrated to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein). They left Altona, Duchy of Holstein, on 21 June 1762 under the leadership of Georg Michael Zürn. The group arrived in the city of Flensburg, Duchy of Schleswig, on 26 June 1762. Johann Ulrich Schaufler and his family remained in Denmark until 22 April 1765, when they immigrated to Russia. During the transport to the Volga German colonies they had a girl, Elisabetha, who was born in 1765.
On 15 March 1766 they arrived in the colony of Rosenheim, where they are recorded on the 1767 Census in Household No. 43 along with Ulrich's mother-in-law.
In 1789, David Schaffler moved from Rosenheim to Engels. By the 1798 Census of Rosenheim, Johann Ulrich's descendants are recorded in Households No. Rm03 & Rm31.
- Eichhorn, Alexander. The immigration of German colonists to Denmark and their subsequent emigration to Russia in the years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Steinmeier, 2012): 311 & 578.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Rm03, Mv2462.
- Parish records of Bretten (LDS Film No. 1189884).
- Parish records of Ehrstädt (LDS Film No. 1336611).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Nordost-Institut, 2008): 72.