Johannes Scheibel, son of Valentin & Charlotta Scheibel, was born 24 October 1716 in Eckartshausen. He married 29 November 1744 in Eckartshausen to Anna Maria Kraft, daughter of Christoph & Julianna Kraft. She had been born 12 March 1724 in Eckartshausen.
The baptisms of following children to Johannes Scheibel & Anna Maria Kraft are recorded in the parish register of Eckartshausen: (1) Johann Conrad, baptized 19 October 1745; (2) Johann Heinrich, baptized 5 January 1750; and (3) Johannes, baptized 2 July 1752.
Widow Anna Maria Scheibel and her sons (Johann Heinrich, age 18; Johann[es], age 16; Friedrich, age 11; Heinrich Peter, age 9) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 9 August 1766 aboard the pink Slon under the command of Lieutenant Sergey Panov.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Balzer on 8 August 1767. They are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 105 with a note that they relocated to the colony of Messer in 1768.
Son Johann Heinrich is recorded on the 1798 census of Messer in Household No. Ms79 and son [Heinrich] Peter in Household No. Ms06. The widow of son Johannes and their children are recorded there in Household No. Ms19.
Friedrich Scheibel from Messer and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Franzosen in Household No. 64.
Franz Wilhelm Scheibel served as the schoolmaster in Kolb in the mid-1800s. He led a group of colonists from Kolb who immigrated to North America in 1876 and settled in Campbell, Nebraska.
Both the Oranienbaum passenger list and the 1767 census record that Anna Maria Scheibel came from the German region of Isenburg.
- 1834 Franzosen Census (Household No. 64).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Ms06, Ms19, Ms79.
- Parish register of Eckartshausen.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 104.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766 (Saratov: State Technical University, 2010): #4060.