Schmick (Yagodnaya Polyana)
Georg Philipp Schmick, son of Johann Christian & Anna Margaretha Schmick, was born 26 September 1698 in Büdingen. He married Anna Elisabeth Lehning. They had 4 children: (1) Magdalena Elisabeth, born about 1750; (2) Johann Georg, born 8 March 1750; (3) Johannes [Ludwig], born 19 January 1755; (5) Johann Jost, born about 1757; (4) Katharina Louisa, born 19 October 1759.
Father Georg Philipp Schmick died 4 April 1760. Widow Anna Elisabeth Lehning Schmick remarried 24 November 1763 in Büdingen to widower Johannes Geyer.
Anna Schmick and her children (Johann [Ludwig], age 14; Johann [Jost], age 11; and Louisa, age 7] arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 14 September 1766. Johann[es] Geyer and his children are recorded on the same ship. The oldest Schmick daughter, Magdalena Elisabeth, had married on 9 May 1766 in Büdingen to Peter Iserle. They also arrived in Oranienbaum on the same ship.
The Schmick family settled in the Volga German colony of Yagodnaya Polyana.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Anna Schmick came from the German region of Isenburg.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Yp48, Yp64, Yp93.
- Mai, Brent Alan & Dona Reeves-Marquardt. German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767): Origins and Destinations (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #624.
- Parish records of Büdingen.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 272.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766 (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #6401, #6508.
Gary A. Fuchs