Georg Kaspar Schmidt was born in 1710 in Ochsenburg, a little town 13 kilometers west of Brackenheim, in Baden-Württemberg. He married Anna Maria Mayer, who had been born in 1716. They had four children, each born and baptized in the Ochsenburg Evangelical Church: (1) Georg Nikolaus, born 18 March 1744; (2) Georg Michael, born 28 September 1748; (3) Georg Kaspar, born 31 July 1751; and (4) Maria Magdalena, born 23 December 1756.
Georg Kaspar Sr. and his family immigrated to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein), departing from Altona, Duchy of Holstein, on 13 July 1761 under the leadership of Georg Hermann. They arrived in the city of Flensburg, Duchy of Schleswig, on 17 July 1761.
His eldest son, Georg Nikolaus Schmidt, married to Anna Maria (surname unknown) and they had a son who was named Georg Michael in 1764.
The extended family is recorded in Denmark until 16 May 1765, when they immigrated to Russia. During the journey to the Volga German colonies, Georg Nikolaus and Anna Maria had another son who was named Christian Martin. Georg Michael Schmidt married to Maria Margaretha (surname unknown).
All of them arrived in the Volga German colony of Galka on 12 April 1766. Georg Kaspar Schmidt Sr. is recorded there on 1767 census in Household No. 31; his sons Georg Nikolaus & Georg Michael are registered in Households No. 30 & 32 respectively.
Descendants of these Schmidt families are recorded in Galka on the 1798 census in Households No. Gk03, Gk08, Gk09, & Gk26.
The widow and son (Jakob) of the desceased Nikolaus Schmidt are recorded on the 1834 census of Galka in Household No. 5.
Georg Christian Schmidt, son of Jakob Schmidt, and his family are recorded on the 1857 census of Frankreich.
Nikolaus Schmidt, who was born in 1770, moved to the colony of Dobrinka in 1796; he is recorded there on the 1798 Census in Household No. Db48.
Before 1857, Widow Anna Elisabeth Schmidt and her children moved from Galka to the daughter colony of Straßburg.
- 1834 Galka Census (Household No. 5).
- 1857 Frankreich Census.
- 1857 Straßburg Census.
- Eichhorn, Alexander; Eichhorn Jacob & Mary. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen: Steinmeier, 2012): B-1461, B-1478.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Db48, Gk03, Gk08, Gk09, Gk26, Gk46, Mv0681.
- Parish records of Ochsenburg (OA Brackenheim), Württemberg (LDS Film No. 1184762).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767, Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 27.