Johann Peter Schmidt, a farmer, his wife Elisabeth, and children (Franz, age 22; Philipp, age 20) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 12 September 1766 aboard an English frigate under the command of Skipper Adam Beerfeier.
Johann [Heinrich] Schmidt and his wife Eva were traveling with Johann Peter and this Johann Heinrich is believed to be another son. This is believed to be the Johann Hinrich Schmidt & Eva Zimmermann who were married on 22 July 1766 in St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Lübeck.
Peter Schmidt, a farmer, his wife Elisabeth, and sons (Frantz Christoph, age 22; Phillip Jacop [sic], age 20) along with Joh. Heinr. Schmidt and his wife Ebert [sic] are recored on a list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767 along with a note that Ebert [sic] died in route.
They all settled in the Volga German colony of Susannental on 3 August 1767.
Johann Peter Schmidt, his wife Elisabeth, and son Philipp (age 20) are recorded on the 1767 census of Susannental in Household No. 13 along with a note that they relocated to the colony of Beauregard in 1768.
Franz Christian [sic] Schmidt, a farmer, and his [new] wife Sophia are recorded on the 1767 census of Susannental in Household No. 12.
Johann Heinrich Schmidt, a farmer, and his [new] wife Katharina are recorded on the 1767 census of Susannental in Household No. 23.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Johann Peter Schmidt came from the German region of Hessen. The 1767 census records that they all came from the German village of Kemel.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Ss02, Ss07, Mv2888.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #120.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 261, 262, 264.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #4553, #4554.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #5344-5349.