There are at least 4 Schmidt families that settled in the Volga German colony of Warenburg:
(1) Ludwig Schmidt, a farmer from the district of Hanau, and his family settled in Warenburg on 12 May 1767.
(2) Jacob Schmidt, a farmer from Lorbach in the area of Darmstadt, and his family settled in Warenburg on 12 May 1767.
(3) Nikolaus Schmidt, a barrell maker from France, and his family settled in Warenburg on 12 May 1767.
(4) In 1796, an Anton Schmidt (not part of the previous Schmidt families, and his family moved from Kratzke to Warenburg. They are, however, recorded back in Warenburg on the 1798 census in Household No. Wr106.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Wr025, Wr029, Wr084, Wr106, Mv1435.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet 1764-1767 Band 3 (Goettingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis; 2005): 326, 329, 335.