Johann Conrad Schmunck, son of Johann Peter Schmunck & Anna Dörr, was born 15 June 1722 in Erlau. He married on 20 April 1751 in Fränkisch-Crumbach to Anna Elisabetha Margareth Lortz, daughter of Philipp Lortz & Anna Catharina Daum of Asbach. She had been born on 6 February 1726 in Asbach.
The births of the following children of Johann Conrad Schmunck & Anna Elisabetha Margareth Lortz are recorded in the parish register of Erlau: (1) Johann Peter, born 18 October 1751; (2) Johann Conrad, born 20 January 1753, died 28 February 1755; (3) Johann Georg, born 29 October 1755; (4) Johann Adam, born 7 November 1756; (5) Anna Margaretha, born 29 October 1759, died 30 October 1759; (6) Johann Leonard, born 9 November 1761; and (7) Anna Maria, born 9 March 1765.
It is recorded in Erlau that, on 21 January 1766, Johann Conrad Schmunck sold his house to Georg Adam Erhard for 111 guilders and moved to Russia.
In the parish records of Fränkisch-Crumbach, Johann Conrad Schmunck, a linen weaver, and his wife (Elisabeth Lotz) and children are listed as colonists leaving for Russia in May 1766.
Konrad Schmunk, a farmer, his wife Anna, and children (Peter, age 17½; Adam, age 8; Johann, age 3; Anna, age 1) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 July 1766 aboard the English frigate Love & Unity under the command of Skipper Thomas Fairfax.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Dobrinka on 20 June 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 68.
Johann Peter Schmunk, oldest son of Konrad, is recorded on the 1798 census of Schwab in Household No. Sb33.
Johann Friedrich Schmunk and his descendants relocated to the daughter colony of Rosenberg before 1857.
- 1857 Census of Rosenberg (Nos. 46, 47, 64, 65).
- LDS International Film Nos. 1190573 and 1599925.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Db11, Sb33.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #1262.
- Ortsfamilienbuch Erlau. [Online]
- Parish register of Erlau (now part of the parish of Fränkisch-Crumbach).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 331.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #1838.
Entry from the parish register of Fränkisch-Crumbach listing the families from the area who left for Russia in 1766 including Johann Conrad Schmunck.
Source: Dominik Krämer.