Schneider (Stahl am Karaman)
There are two Schneider families that arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766 and settled in the Volga German colony of Stahl am Karaman on 22 June 1767.
They are presumed to be father and son:
(1) Johannes Schneider (age 59) and his wife Margaretha (age 54) are recorded on the 1767 census of Stahl am Karaman in Household No. 35.
(2) Johann Adam Schneider (age 27) and his family are recorded on the 1767 census of Stahl am Karaman in Household No. 36.
The 1798 census records that Elisabeth, widow of Johannes Schneider of Stahl am Karman, is living in Enders (En20).
Both the Oranienbaum passenger list and the 1767 census record that they came from the German region of Dienheim.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): En20, Sk03.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 200.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #2979, #2985.