There are two Staab families that settled in the Volga German colony of Katharinenstadt. Jakob and Johannes were first cousins, their fathers being brothers.
(1) Jakob Staab, son of Conrad Staab & Anna Maria Noll, was born 29 May 1740 in Orb, Mainz (now Bad-Orb) in Hessen. He married in St. Martin's Church in Orb on 30 September 1765 to Maria Magdalena Seipel.
Jakob Staab and his wife Maria arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 15 September 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Hans Karholm.
Jacob Stab and his wife Maria are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
Jakob, his [new] wife Magdalena, infant son Johannes, and Magdalena's mother are recorded on the 1767 census of Katharinenstadt in Household No. 134. They had arrived in Katharinenstadt on 3 August 1767.
(2) Johannes Staab, son of Johannes & Magdalena Staab, was born 1 October 1731 in Orb, Mainz. He married Magdalena Wildeish.
Johannes and his 9-year-old son Johannes, along with his new wife Maria Magdalena Martin, arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 12 September 1766 aboard an English frigate under the command of Skipper Adam Beerfeier.
Johann Staab, his wife Maria, and children (Johann, age 9; Maria, age ½) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767 along with a note that wife Maria died en route.
They settled in Katharinenstadt on 3 August 1767 where they are recorded in Household No. 132 on the 1767 census.
In 1786, Johannes Staab and his family moved from Katharinenstadt to Saratov.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Ka054, Ka075, Ka079, Ka111, Mv1186.
- McGinnis, Sean. The Founding Families of Catharine, Kansas (2007).
- Ortsfamilienbuch Bad Orb (ofb.genealogy.net).
- Parish register of Orb.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 304 & 305.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #4463, #7101.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #4580-4581, 6140-6143.