Stellwagen (Kolb & Moor)
The descendants of three Stellwagen families from the German village of Sprendlingen immigrated to Russia. Their relationship to each other is not known at this time. They all arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 18 June 1766 aboard the ship Die Perle under the command of Skipper Thomson.
(1) Susanna Elisabetha Stellwagen, illegitimate daughter of Johannes & Maria Veronica Stellwagen, was born 13 January 1752 in Sprendlingen. Maria Veronica and Susanna Elisabetha immigrated to Russia. Susanna Elisabetha is recorded on the 1767 Census of Kolb as an orphan in Household No. 22 along with the Jacob Müller family. The 1767 census does not record a relationship between the Müller and Stellwagen families. She is recorded on the 1798 Census of Kolb in Household No. Ko23 as the wife of Johann Adam Koch [surname recorded as Stehlbach].
(2) Lorenz & Catharina Elisabeth Stellwagen has 8 children whose births are recorded in the Sprendlingen parish records: (1) Johann Adam, born 21 August 1746; (2) Gertrude, b. 28 July 1748; (3) Johannes, born 12 September 1750; (4) Johann Jacob, born in Jan 1753; (5) Johannes, born 17 May 1755; (6) Johann Heinrich, born 7 August 1757; (7) Johann Phillip, born 16 September 1759; and (8) Johann Peter, born 14 March 1762. Son Johannes (born in 1755) appears to be the only member of this family who survived to settled in the Volga German colonies. He is recorded on the 1767 census of Moor in Household No. 17 as the stepson of Conrad Bickert.
(3) Anna Gertruda Stellwagen, daughter of Adam & Anna Barbara Stellwagen, was born 17 May 1728 in Sprendlingen. She married 9 February 1751 in Sprendlingen to Philipp Bamberger. Anna Gertruda died on 11 March 1763 in Sprendlingen. Three of her children survived the trip to Russia and are recorded on the 1767 Census of Moor in Household No. 18 where they are recorded as the stepchildren of Nicolaus Scherf.
There do not appear to be any surviving male Stellwagen descendants among the Volga German colonies.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Ko23.
- Parish records of Sprendlingen (via Archion.de)
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 391.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 160.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #989, #999, #1000.