Johannes Streck was a cloth merchant in Gersfeld. He had been born 5 April 1733 in Gersfeld, the son of Johannes Streck & Elisabeth Limpert. His wife Maria Elisabeth Klüber, daughter of tailor Johannes Klüber, was born 22 September 1739 in Gersfeld. They married on 11 May 1756. They and three of their children (Johannes, born 7 June 1760; Margaretha, born 12 December 1762; and Johann Georg, born 23 January 1765) immigrated to Russia.
They arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 14 September 1766 aboard a ship under the comand of Skipper Reders.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Walter on 25 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 15.
In 1796, Johannes Streck moved from Walter to Hussenbach.
In 1798, Nikolaus Streck and his family moved from Walter to Frank.
Nikolaus Streck is recorded on the 1811 census of Frank in Household No. 138 along with a note that he relocated to the colony of Walter in 1808 [sic].
Nikolaus Streck from Frank is recorded on the 1811 census of Walter in Household No. 1 along with a note that he arrived in Walter from Frank in 1801 [sic].
Johannes’ son Georg Streck, born about 1790 in Walter, moved to Kolb between the 1816 and 1834 censuses.
The Streck and Klüber lines can be traced back at least three generations in Gersfeld, and connect with the Limpert and Kammerzell families.
- 1811 Frank Census (Household No. 138).
- 1811 Walter Census (Household No. 1).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fk138, Hs061, Wt065, Mv2966, Mv2968.
- Parish records of Gersfeld, Fulda - Archive of the Evangelical Church of Kurhessen-Waldeck in Kassel (Archion.de)
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 298.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #6441.
Entry from the Gersfeld parish register recording the marriage of widower Peter Streck and Anna Kammerzell, daughter of Nikolaus Kammerzel, on 18 May 1686.
Source: Maggie Hein.
Entry from the Gersfeld parish register recording the marriage of Johannes Streck, son of Peter Streck, and Elisabetha Limpert, daughter of Hans Limpert on 14 May 1726.
Source: Maggie Hein.