Two Uhl families from the German village of Backnang immigrated to Russia. Their relationship to each other is not known at this time.
(1) Georg Friedrich Uhl, a wool weaver (Wollweber), was baptized 15 May 1732 in Backnang, Württemberg. He and Eva Rosina Magdalena Scheid were married 26 April 1757 in Großbottwar, Württemberg. They had four children: (1) Georg Friedrich, baptized 8 June 1758 in Backnang; (2) Christina Clara, baptized 30 September 1759 in Backnang, (3) Eva Rosina Magdalena, baptized 9 October 1762 in Backnang; and (4) Johann Gottlieb, baptized 21 April 1764 in Großbottwar.
(2) Ernst Gottlieb Uhl was baptized 27 September 1723 in Backnang. He married Maria Catharina Baumeister on 11 April 1747 in Backnang. They had five children according to the Backnang parish records: (1) Johann Georg, baptized 23 June 1750; (2) Catharina Magdalena, baptized 7 September 1752; (3) Christina Margaretha, baptized on 28 June 1758; (4) Christina Margaretha, baptized 12 April 1760; and (5) Christina Friderica, baptized 24 November 1763.
Georg Friedrich Uhl and his family along with Ernst Gottlieb Uhl and his family arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 15 September 1766 aboard the Danish galliot Nord Stern under the command of Skipper Detlev Belling.
Ernst Gottlieb and his wife both died enroute to the Volga colonies. Georg Friedrich's wife died after arriving in Russia, but before departing for the colonies. Georg Friedrich and his surviving children settled in the Volga German colony of Warenburg on 12 May 1767. They are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 78 along with Georg Friedrich's new wife. It is not clear what happened to the surviving children of Ernst Gottlieb.
The 1767 census records that Friedrich Uhl came from the German village of Pansenheim in the Württemberg region.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Wr053.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 333.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #5224, #5227.