Johann Jacob Vogel, son of Johann Nicolaus Vogel, married Sophia Daum, daughter of Johann Conrad Daum, on 23 May 1758 in the Evangelical Church of Gross-Zimmern, 10 kilometers east of Darmstadt. Their daughter Gertraud was born on 10 February 1762 and baptized on 12 February 1762 in Gross-Zimmern.
Johann Jacob Vogel and his family emigrated to Denmark. They departed from Altona (Duchy of Holstein) on 3 June 1762 under the leadership of Johannes Wenner. They arrived in the city of Flensburg, Duchy of Schleswig, on 9 June 1762.
They remained in Denmark until 3 May 1765, when they departed to Russia.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Dönhof on 21 July 1766. They are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 22.
On the 1798 Census, Johann Jacob and his descendants are recorded in Dönhof Households No. Dh008 & Dh033.
Philipp Vogel from Dönhof and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Franzosen in Household No. 34.
- 1834 Franzosen Census (Household No. 34).
- Eichhorn, Alexander. The immigration of German colonists to Denmark and their subsequent emigration to Russia in the years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Steinmeier, 2012): 298, 630 & 667.
- Franze-Merlau, Christel Hechler. Familienbuch Groß-Zimmern (Roßdorf: Christel Franze-Merlau, 2016): 1463.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Dh008.
- Parish records of Gross-Zimmern (LDS Film No. 1190553).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 347.