Two Volhard families arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 12 September 1766 aboard the English frigate Love & Unity under the command of skipper Thomas Fairfax. They also traveled together from St. Petersburg to Saratov. The relationship of these two families to each other is not recorded, but they are assumed to be father and son.
(1) Nikolaus Volhard, a farmer, his wife Anna, and children (Elisabeth, age 20; Anna, age 17; Johann, age 7) arrived in Oranienbaum.
Nicol. Volhard, his [new] wife Elisabetha, and daughters (Anna Maria, age 17¼; Johannes, age 7) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
Nikolaus Volhard (age 50),his wife Elisabeth, and children (Maria, age 18; Johannes, age 8) are recorded on an appendix to the 1767 census of Paulskaya in Household No. 18.
In 1792, Johannes Volhard moved from Kind to Orlovskaya.
(2) Nikolaus Volhard, a farmer, and his wife Anna arrived in Oranienbaum.
Nicol. Volhard and his wife Anna Margaretha are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
Nikolaus Volhard (age 24) and his wife Anna are recorded on an appendix to the 1767 census of Paulskaya in Household No. 16.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that both of these Volhard families came from the German region of Darmstadt. The 1767 census records that both of the Volhard families came from the German village of Lembach in the Darmstadt region.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Kd11, Or48, Mv1300.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 355.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766 (Saratov: State Technical University, 2010): #5337, #5338.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #2982-2987.