Johann Leonhard Volz, son of Johann Jacob Volz (bapt. 14 May 1702) & Johanna Dorothea Brüstel (bapt. 4 March 1706), was baptized on 14 March 1735 in Ohringen.
Leonhard Volz, a farmer, and his family settled in the Volga German colony of Balzer on 28 August 1765 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 13.
The 1857 census of Balzer records (in Household No. 140) that Thomas Volz moved from Balzer to Rosenberg in 1852.
The 1767 census records that Leonhard Volz came from the German region of Hohenlohe.
- 1857 Balzer Census (Household No. 140).
- Bonner, Wayne H. Volga German Settlers Identified in Isenburg and Other German Church Records Part I (Gardena, CA: Wayne Bonner, 2007): 14, 20.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bz046.
- Ohringen Parish Records (LDS Intl Film #1340181).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 75.
- Volz, Fred E. Our Heritage: The Lineage of Jonathan Volz and the Heritage He Created (Stuttgart, 1955): 34