Johann Georg Waag, son of Johann Georg Waag & Gertraud Kiefer, was born 31 December 1727 and baptized 4 January 1728 in the Evangelical Church of Sprendlingen, today incorporated into the town of Dreieich, about 10 kilometers south of Frankfurt am Main. He married on 29 March 1749 in the same church to Elisabetha Gerhard, a daughter of Johann Nicolaus Gerhard, shortly after their son, Johann Jost, was born on 15 Feb 1749 in Sprendlingen. They had another son, Ludwig, who was born about 1753 (whose record could not be found).
Elisabeth died, and Johann Georg remarried to Susanna Schmidt, daughter of Philipp Schmidt & Gertraud Löffler on 16 November 1763, also in Sprendlingen. Susanna had been born 27 December 1741 and baptized on 28 December 1741 in the same church. Johann Georg and his second wife had two children, each baptized in Sprendlingen: Susanna, born 27 April 1762, and Samuel, born 22 August 1765.
Johann Georg Waag and his family emigrated to Russia, departing from Lübeck aboard the ship Apollo with the skipper Detlov Merberg at the helm. They arrived at the port in Oranienbaum, Russia, on 29 August 1766.
They settled in Grimm on 1 July 1767, where they are recorded on the 1767 Census in Household No. 81.
The Georg Waag family is recorded on the 1775 census of Grimm in Household No. 3.
According to the 1798 Census, their descendants are still living in Grimm, recorded there in Households No. Gm033, Gm043, Gm046, and Gm165. Daughter Anna Catharina had moved to the colony of Müller in 1790, she is recorded there in Household No. Ml09.
Both the Oranienbaum passenger list and the 1767 census record that Georg Waag came from the German region of Isenburg.
- 1775 Grimm Census (Household No. 3).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Gm033, Gm043, Gm046, Gm165.
- Parish records of Sprendlingen (LDS Film No. 1193263).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 84.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #5024.