There are two Walter families that settled in the Volga German colony of Stephan on 24 August 1767. The had arrived together from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 13 September 1766 aboard the hooker Die Jungfer Dietrika under the command of Skipper Christian Korsholm. Their relationship to each other is not recorded on either the Oranienbaum passenger list or the 1767 census.
(1) Johann and his wife Christina are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
Johannes Walter (age 59) and his wife Johanna Christina are recorded on the 1767 census of Stephan in Household No. 27.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that he was a hosier while the 1767 census records that he was a baker (Bäcker).
(2) Philipp Jakob Walther, widower from Nidda, & Anna Margretha Ruppel from Rodheim in the area of Darmstadt were married on 20 June 1766 in the Lutheran Church of Büdingen.
Philip Walter, his wife Anna Margreta, and son Philip (age 8) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767 along with a note that son Philip died en route.
Philipp Walter (age 34), his wife Anna Margaretha, and son Johannes (age 1) are recorded on the 1767 census of Stephan in Household No. 28.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Philipp Walter was a hosier while the 1767 census records that he was a merchant (Kaufmann).
The Oraniebaum passenger list records that both of these families came from the German region of Darmstadt while the 1767 census records that they both came from the German village of Nidda.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Sp25.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #706.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 226.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #5755, #5758.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #1988-1992.