An article by Hermann Wäschke records the following going to Russia:
(unnamed) Weise [sic], a saw smith (Sägeschmidt), with wife and 3 children, from the district of Dessau.
Gottlieb Weiss, a blacksmith (Schmied), his wife Magdalena, and children (Lebrecht, age 8; Karl, age 7; Johanna, age 5; Elisabeth, age 4) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 July 1766 aboard the English frigate Love & Unity under the command of Skipper Thomas Fairfax.
Gottlieb Weyse [sic], his wife Joh. Magdalena, and son Gottlieb (born en route) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Orlovskaya on 7 June 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 59.
In 1769, Gottlieb Weiss and his family moved from Orlovskaya to Kaneau.
Gottlieb Weiss and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Kaneau in Household No. Kn29.
Johann Karl Weiss from Kaneau, assumed to be a son of Gottlieb Weiss, and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Kind in Household No. 36.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Gottlieb Weiss came from the German region of Dessau while the 1767 census records that he came from the German village of Querfurt.
- 1834 Kind Census (Household No. 36).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Kn29, Mv2121.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt. German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #1171.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 324.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #1287.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #0578-0580.
- Wäschke, Hermann. "Deutsche Familien in Russland" in Roland, Archiv für Stamm- und Wappenkunde, Jubiläumsschrift, 18 January 1912: 82.