Gottlieb Wiegand was born in Herbstein, between Giessen and Fulda, on 25 October 1729. He married there on 10 February 1756 to Anna Maria Staubach. She had been born about 1737. They have 3 known children, each born in Herbstein: (1) Georg Anton, born 9 January 1757; (2) Marcus Carl, born 10 August 1761; and (3) Johann Zacharias, born 23 March 1764.
They immigrated to Russia, arriving from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum on 13 September 1766 aboard the hooker Die Jungfer Dietrika under the command of skipper Christian Korsholm. They arrived in Köhler on 10 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 2.
Youngest son, Johann Zacharias, is listed on the 1798 Census in Köhler in Household No. Kl10.
The death of Zacharias Wiegand in 1817 is recorded on the 1834 census of Köhler in Household No. 11.
- 1834 Köhler Census (Household No. 11).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999).
- Mai, Brent Alan, trans. & ed. Transport of the Volga Germans from Oranienbaum to the Colonies on the Volga: 1766-1767 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1998): 122-123, 707-723, 728-729, 736.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 359.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 365.