Johannes Winckelhausen, son of Balthasar Winckelhausen & Anna Maria Elisabeth Heid, was born 8 June 1727 in Rüddingshausen. He married Anna Elisabetha Dick, daughter of Johann Ludwig Dick & Anna Helena Seipp, on 19 July 1753 in Rüddinghausen. She was the widow of Jost Klinckel & Friedrich Becker. She had been born in Rüddinghausen on 4 August 1715. They have one known daughter, Anna Maria who was born 6 December 1753.
Mother Anna Elisabetha Dücker Winckelhausen died in March 1766 (buried 21 March 1766). Her widower Johannes Winkelhausen immigrated to Russia, evidently leaving daughter Anna Maria in the care of relatives [she later married Johann Philipp Rohrbach and died on 5 May 1836 in Lollar].
Johannes & his new wife (Catharina) arrived in Oranienbaum from Lübeck on 8 August 1766 aboard the galliot Anna Katharina under the command of skipper Johann Joachim Janson.
Joh. Winckelhausen, his wife Anna Cath., and daughter Maria (born en route) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
They are recorded on the transports from Oranienbaum to the Volga colonies, and the birth of a daughter, Maria, is noted during this trip.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Ernestinendorf on 3 August 1767, and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 29.
In 1769, Johann Winkelaus [sic] and his family moved from Ernestinendorf to Schönchen.
The 1798 census of Pobochnaya records Johann Wilhelm Winkelaus [sic] (age 25) from Schaffhausen in Household No. Pb39.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Johann Winkelhausen came from the German region of Darmstadt while the 1767 census records that he came from the German village of Ruttershausen [evidently Rüddingshausen].
There are no known surviving male lines of this family among the Volga German colonies.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Pb39, Mv0564.
- Mai, Brent Alan, trans. & ed. Transport of the Volga Germans from Oranienbaum to the Colonies on the Volga: 1766-1767 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1998): 4251-4252.
- Müller, Hanno; Ommert, Dora; Schumann, Liesel. Familienbücher des Kirchspiels Kirchberg (v.4): Lollar: 1628-1875 (Fernwald, 2001).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 402.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3968.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #5220-5222.