Sacred Heart Catholic Church - Park
From 1896 to 1901, the Capuchin Fathers provided weekday celebration of Mass in private homes.
During 1899 and the spring of 1900, the first Catholic church building was constructed (a frame building, 30 x 60 feet). It was erected on the southwest corner of block twelve by Mr. B. Albers of Angelus with his son and brother-in-law assisting him. In 1901, on the patronal feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the church was dedicated. In 1909, the church was extended 20 feet and a steeple was added.
The cornerstone for a new church building was laid on 25 October 1921, and the new structure was dedicated on 23 August 1922. The new church measurers 150 x 60 feet with an extension on each side of the transept of 10½ feet. The old church was sold and later torn down.
The following priests have served the Sacred Heart Parish:
L. Wahlmeier (1905-)
- Parish History: History of Sacred Heart Parish, Park, Kansas [Online]