St. John Lutheran Church - Russell
St. John Lutheran Church was founded by Volga German families in 1900. They met in the Baptist Church on 13 May 1900 to discuss forming a parish.
The first service was held on 10 June 1900 in a local Congregational Church. Subsequent worship services were held in the Baptist Church until a new building could be constructed. It was dedicated on 12 May 1901.
By 1927, the congregation had outgrown its building. The old church was torn down and a new one dedicated on 11 March 1928.
Russell, KS 67665
The following pastors have served the congregation of St. John's:
R. Schimmelpfennig (1902-1904)
A. Menneoch (1904-1906)
Paul J. Toerne (1906-1908)
Pastor Wellhausen (1908-1911)
William Harder (1911-1918)
Victor Pietzko (1919-1920)
F. A. Ollendorf (1920-1925)
F. Bahr (1926-1928)
J. N. Marxen (1928-1934)
C. Rautenstraus (1934-1940)
Ernest H. Thomas (1940-1948)
Theodore H. Althof (1948-1954)
Otto A. Matthias (1956-1962)
R. G. Sedo (1963-1970)
Ernest Pihl (1970-1974)
Herman Frerichs (1974-1984)
Robert G. Lundgren (1985-1989)
Michael Fibranz (1991-2000)
Stephen Pera, asst. (1992-1994)
Henry J. Hartman, asst. (1995-2000)
Henry J. Hartman, senior (2000-2005)
Harlan Kaden (2001-2003)
Roger Dennis (2006-)
- St. John's History (church website)
History of St. John's Lutheran Church in Russell.
Article from the 29 January 1914 issue of the Russell Record.