St. Paul Evangelical & Reformed Church - Portland
The St. Paul's Evangelical Church dates from early 1904 when it was founded with the leadership of the Reverend Jacob Hergert, a minister serving under the Evangelical Synod of North America. Meetings were first held in a rental hall on Union Avenue. The location chosen was the corner of NE 8th and Failing Streets where the present building still stands. The original building constitutes part of the present structure. The congregation and church were incorporated as "Die Deutsche Evangelische St. Paul's Kirche."
In 1938, a new sanctuary was built to the east of the old church and the two structures were connected together. The old steeple was removed and a new one built at the point where the two buildings came together, and the new entrance was located there as well.
With a membership of only 21, the congregation was disbanded on 1 May 1973 and the building was sold. Gethsemane Church of God in Christ was the final congregation to use the facility. It was led by Rev. R. L. Menefee and later by his son, Winfred Leon Menefee.
In 2015, the building was sold to a developer and demolished.
4236 NE 8th
8th & Failing
The congregation of St. Paul's was served by the following pastors:
Jacob E. Hergert (1904-1921)
Elias Hergert (1925-1939)
Theodore C. Strobel (?-1973)
- St. Pauls Evangelical & Reformed Church (Steve Schreiber)
St. Paul Evangelical & Reformed Church (circa 1920).
Source: Evangelical Reformed Historical Society, Lancaster, Pennsylvania.