Red Deer, Alberta
Lutheran immigrants from Yagodnaya Polyana settled southwest of Red Deer in 1892. Large numbers of German settlers began arriving in 1894, most coming from Volhynia.
The area of South Red Deer Lake became known as the Bashaw area, and eventually a town was established there also.
St. Peter Lutheran Church - Bashaw
The following families are known to have settled in and around Red Deer:
Deines from Kratzke
Schewalje from Brabander
Weinkauf from Volmer
- Scheuerman, Richard D. & Clifford E. Trafzer. The Volga Germans: Pioneers of the Northwest (Moscow, ID: University of Idaho Press, 1985): 173-174.