Bishkek, Chuy Region, Kyrgystan
Bishkek, formerly Pishpek and Frunze, is the capital and largest city of Kyrgyzstan (Kyrgyz Republic).
In 1825, Khokand authorities established the fortress of "Pishpek" in order to control local caravan-routes and to collect tribute from Kyrgyz tribes. On 4 September 1860, with the approval of the Kyrgyz, Russian forces led by Colonel Zimmermann destroyed the fortress. In 1868 a Russian settlement was established on the site of the fortress under its original name, "Pishpek".
In 1925, the Kara-Kirghiz Autonomous Oblast was established in Russian Turkestan, promoting Pishpek to its capital. In 1926 the city was given the name Frunze, after the Bolshevik military leader Mikhail Frunze (1885-1925), who was born there. In 1936, the city of Frunze became the capital of the Kirghiz Soviet Socialist Republic.
In 1991 the Kyrgyz parliament changed the capital's name to Bishkek.
Following the 1941 Deportation, Volga German families moved to Kyrgystan, some settling in Frunze.
The following Volga German families are known to have lived in Frunze:
Fritzler from Grimm
Kehm from Balzer
Kindsvater from Grimm & Gnadenflur (originally from Dietel)
Quindt from Dobrinka