Herington, Dickinson Co., Kansas

Names: 
Herington, Dickinson Co., Kansas
History: 

Herington is named in honor of its founder Monroe Davis Herington who came to the area in 1880, but there had been white settlers living along Lyon Creek as early as 1859. With the arrival of the railroad, the number of settlers coming to the area dramatically increased.

Volga German Congregations: 

The following congregations were attended by the Volga Germans who settled in and around Herington:

- First Baptist Church (founded 1885)
- Immanuel Lutheran Church (in town)
- Immanuel Lutheran Church, Shady Brook (north of Herington)
- Our Redeemer Lutheran Church (founded 1926)
- St. Paul Lutheran Church (founded 1908)
- St. John Lutheran Church (founded 1861)

Volga German Families: 

The following Volga German families settled in and around Herington:

Berg from Galka
Borger from Eckheim
Deines from Franzosen
Elsasser from Galka
Hock from Bauer
Kerbs from Galka
Kraus from Alexandertal
Mohn
Peil from Holstein
Rau from Neu-Norka
Riffel
Socolofsky
Steinert
Stenfeld from Holstein
Strecker
Wassemiller
Worster from Alexandertal

Pre-Volga Origin

Volga Colonies

Latitude: 43.210000
Longitude: 2.350000
Latitude: 51.056111
Longitude: 12.555000
Latitude: 49.871944
Longitude: 8.958610
Latitude: 50.592778
Longitude: 8.856389
Latitude: 49.193027
Longitude: 8.933828
Latitude: 50.241389
Longitude: 9.167500
Latitude: 49.901055
Longitude: 8.844496