Woodward, Woodward Co., Oklahoma
The town of Woodward was established at the time of the Cherokee Strip Land Rush in 1893. Today it is the largest town and commercial area in the northwest Oklahoma region.
A tornado hit Woodward on the evening of 9 April 1947, destroying more than 1,000 homes and businesses and killing at least 107 people in and around Woodward. Another tornado struck 14 April 1912.
Volga German families were part of the 1893 Land Rush and obtained land in Woodward County.
Trinity Lutheran Church
The following are known to have settled in and around Woodward:
Ehrlich from Shcherbakovka
Faust from Shcherbakovka
Fehrer / Feerer
Feil / Fiel
Grantz from Shcherbakovka
Laubhan from Shcherbakovka
Oblander from Shcherbakovka
Riffel from Shcherbakovka
Stricker from Shcherbakovka
Winter / Winters from Shcherbakovka
Zitzmann / Sitzmann
James, Louise Boyd. "Woodward," Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture (www.okhistory.org)
Elmwood Cemetery (FindAGrave)