Bäcker / Becker (Walter-1)
Franz Heinrich Becker Sr., son of Johann Peter Becker, married Elisabetha Daab, daughter of Benedict Daab, on 11 February 1745 in the Fränkisch-Crumbach Evangelical (Lutheran) Church. Elisabetha had been born on 24 January 1726 in Brensbach, a village 4.3 kilometers north of Fränkisch-Crumbach.
They had nine children, the first five of them being baptized in the church in Fränkisch-Crumbach, and the last four in Brensbach: (1) Franz Heinrich Jr., born 13 May 1746 and baptized 14 May 1746; (2) Johann Nikolaus, born 11 September 1747 and baptized 12 September 1747; (3) Johannetta, born and baptized 24 December 1748; (4) Maria Elisabetha, born 1 December 1749 and baptized 3 December 1749; (5) Dorothea Friderica, born and baptized 19 August 1751; (6) Anna Katharina, born 30 December 1754 and baptized 1 January 1755; (7) Johann Andreas, born 16 August 1757 and baptized 18 August 1757; (8) Johann Wilhelm, born 10 December 1759 and baptized 11 December 1759; and (9) Johannetta Elisabetha, born 21 November 1761 and baptized 22 November 1761.
Franz Heinrich Becker Sr., his wife and seven of their children immigrated to Russia, departing from the port of Lübeck on the pink Lev under the command of Lieutenant Fyodor Fyodorov. They arrived in Oranienbaum on 22 July 1766.
During the transport to the Volga German colonies, Franz Heinrich's wife died, and he remarried Magdalena (surname unknown). Franz Heinrich Becker himself died at some point before the 1767 Census was taken. His widow and her stepsons (Beckers) are recorded in Household No. 44 in Walter, having settled there on 25 August 1767. Son Franz Heinrich Jr., his wife, and sister Dorothea are recorded in Household No. 48.
Descendants of this Becker family are still living in Walter at the time of 1798 census, and are recorded in Households No. Wt30 & Wt66. In 1788, another Becker family moved from Dietel to Walter, Heinrich Becker.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999).
- Parish records of Fränkisch-Crumbach, Starkenburg (LDS Film No. 1190572).
- Parish records of Brensbach and Nieder Kainsbach (LDS Film No. 1190544).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Nordost-Institut, 2008): 306.
- Pleve, Igor. List of Colonists to Russia in 1766 "Reports by Ivan Kulberg" (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #2333.