Johann Ludwig Bastron, son of Joaques Laurent Pastron and Johanna Schmidt, was born 29 May 1740 in Büdingen. He married in Büdingen on 5 May 1762 to Johanetta Elisabeth Lang, daughter of Johann Peter Lang, the chief miller in Laubach, Germany, and his wife Marie Christine Best.
The Bastron (Pastron) family were French Huguenots. Jacques Laurent (Jacob Lorentz) Pastron, a stocking weaver from Offenbach, Germany, was the son of Jacques Pastron and Elisabeth Humbert of Offenbach, Germany.
Johann Ludwig and Johannetta Elisabeth Lang arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 15 September 1766 aboard the galliot Johannes under the command of Skipper Stahl.
Joh. Ludwig Pastrung [sic], his wife Honetta [sic], and daughter Dorothea (born en route) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767 along with a note that newborn Dorothea also died en route.
Johann Ludwig, a craftsman (Handwerker), and his wife Johanna Elisabeth are recorded on the 1767 census of Frank in Household No. 54.
Johann Ludwig Bastron, his wife Henrietta [sic] Lang, and their family are recorded on the 1798 census of Frank in Households No. Fk060 & Fk061.
The death of Ludwig Bastron in 1801 is recorded on the 1811 census of Frank in Household No. 60.
The 1767 census records that Johann Ludwig Bastron came from the German village of Bigens [?] in the region of Isenburg.
- 1811 Frank Census (Households No. 60, 61).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fk060, Fk061.
- Parish register of the Offenbach French Reformed Church.
- Parish register of Büdingen.
- Parish register of Laubach.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 427.
- Pleve, Igor. Bastron Family Chart.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #6322.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #7835-7837.