Johannes Bauer was born 26 October 1719 in Nieder-Kinzig. He married 3 November 1740 in Höchst im Odenwald to Elisabeth Katharina Schmidt.
At least six children were born in Germany before departure for Russia: (1) Katharina Elisabeth, born 24 January 1744 in Pfirschbach; (2) Anna Margaretha, born 6 December 1747 in Ober-Kinzig; (3) Johann Jacob, born 14 August 1750 in Pfirschbach; (4) Johann Georg; (5) Anna Sophia; and (6) Eva Margaretha, born 27 January 1761.
They immigrated to Russia along with many families from Höchst and the surrounding villages. Johann Bauer, a farmer, his wife Elisabeth, and children (Katharina Elisabeth, age 22; Margaretha, age 19½; Jakob, age 15; Johann Georg, age 11; Anna Sophia, age 7; Eva Margaretha, age 7) arrived from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum aboard the Russian galliot Citadel on 13 September 1766.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Frank on 1 September 1767, and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 96.
Widow Katharina Bauer and her children (Johannes, age 19; Anna Katharina, age 14; Johann Jakob, age 11; Georg Heinrich, age 5) are recorded on the 1798 census of Frank in Household No. Fk087.
The Bauer brothers (Johannes, age 32; Johann Jakob, age 24; Georg Heinrich, age 18) are recorded on the 1811 census of Frank in Household No. 87.
- 1811 Frank Census (Household No. 87).
- Gieg, Ella. Auswanderung aus dem Odenwaldkreis Band 5 (Lutzelbach, Germany: Gieg, 1988): 256.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fk087.
- Mai, Brent Alan. Transport of the Volga Germans from Oranienbaum to the Colonies on the Volga, 1766-1767 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1998): #7234-7240.
- Parish records of Höchst (LDS Film Nos. 1193268 & 1193269).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 434.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #5258.
Edward F. Wagner
Entry from the Oranienbaum passenger list recording Johann Bauer and his family.
Source: Brent Mai.