Baumgärtner (Husaren / Pfeifer)
The Baumgärtner families of Pfeifer, Husaren, and Volmer are intertwined. Their relationship to each other, if any, needs further research.
(1) Christoph Baumgärtner, a farmer, his wife Anna Maria, and children (Dorothea, age 17; Daniel Solomon, age 8) arrived from Danzig at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 May 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Jacob Janson.
Christoph Baumgärtner, a farmer, his wife Anna Maria, and son Solomon (age 9) are recorded on the 1767 census of Husaren in Household No. 3. They had settled there on 17 February 1767.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Christoph Baumgärtner came from the region of Danzig. The 1767 census records that Christoph Baumgärtner came from the German village of Marienburg in Poland.
(2) The widow and children (Katharina, age 17; Johannes, age 14; Valentin, age 10; Wilhelm, age 7) of Heinrich Baumgärtner are recorded on the 1798 census of Pfeifer in Household No. Pf54.
Christoph [sic] Baumgärtner from Pfeifer and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Volmer in Household No. Vm20.
Samuel Baumgardt [sic - later documents record his family as Baumgärtner] and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Husaren in Household No. Hn17 along with a note that son Johannes and daughter Susanna are working in the colony of Grimm.
Johannes Baumgardt [sic], son of Samuel Baumgardt, from Husaren is recorded on the 1811 census of Brabander in Household No. 83 along with a note that he had arrived in Brabander in 1802.
Johannes Baumgardt [sic] and his wife are recorded on the 1834 census of Brabander in Household No. 12.
The death of Johannes Baumgardt [sic] in 1848 is recorded on the 1850 census of Brabander in Household No. 13.
Christoph's sons Johannes and Samuel and their families are recorded on the 1834 census of Volmer in Households No. 1 & 7, respectively.
Christoph's son Thadeus/Mattias is recorded on the 1834 census of Husaren in Household No. 51.
- 1811 Brabander Census (Household No.83).
- 1834 Brabander Census (Household No. 12).
- 1834 Husaren Census (Household 51).
- 1834 Pfeifer Census (Households 43, 139).
- 1834 Volmer Census (Households 1,7).
- 1850 Brabander Census (Household No. 13).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Hn17, Pf54, Vm20.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 164.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #30.