Johann Heinrich Betz, son of Johann Martin & Anna Margretha Betz, was baptized in Wenings on 12 October 1731. Anna Sibilla Krumm, daughter of Johannes and Elisabeth Krumm, was baptized in Wenings on 17 July 1732. The couple (Johann Heinrich Betz & Anna Sibilla Krumm) married in Wenings on 24 March 1756. The baptisms of three children of their children are recorded in the Wenings parish records: (1) Johanna Elisabetha, born 23 November 1759, baptized 25 November 1759; (2) Johanna Maria, born 10 May 1762, baptized 16 May 1762; and (3) Johann Conrad, born 21 September 1764, baptized 25 September 1764.
Heinrich Betz, a farmer, his wife Anna, and children (Johanna, age 7; Anna, age 4; Johann, age 1½) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 29 August 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper John Scott.
Johan Heinrich Petz [sic], his wife Anna Sobina, and daughter Anna Elisabeth (age 8) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
The surviving family members settled in Norka on 26 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 184.
Daughter Anna Elisabeth Betz and her husband Konrad Moor are recorded on the 1798 census of Norka in Household No. Nr098.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Heinrich Betz came from the German region of Isenburg.
There are no known surviving male lines of this Betz family among the Volga German colonies.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Nr098.
- Parish register of Wenings.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 278.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3709.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #2469-2471.
The Wenings parish register recording the marriage of Johann Heinrich Betz & Anna Sibilla Krumm on 24 March 1756.
Source: Maggie Hein.