Wendel Engel, son of Johann Engel, and Anna Catharina Reifschneider, daughter of Johannes Reifschnider, were married in Leisenwald on 20 April 1752. The parish records of nearby Spielberg record baptisms for four of their children: (1) Johannes, baptized on 28 January 1753; (2) Johann Georg, baptized on 13 July 1755; (3) Elisabeth, baptized on 7 October 1758; and (4) Johann Heinrich, baptized on 31 January 1762.
The Engel family immigrated to Russia arrving from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766. They settled in the Volga German colony of Kutter on 8 July 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 15.
Before 1788, son Georg (b. 1755) moved to the colony of Anton where he is recorded on the 1798 Census in Household No. An04.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): 222.
- Parish records of Leisenwald.
- Parish records of Spielberg
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 479.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3205.