Christian Engelhardt was born in about 1738 in Seckenheim (today an eastern suburb of Mannheim). He was a tailor. He immigrated first to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein) where he settled in the colony of Veltenhof. He married in Fredericia, Denmark, to Anna Barbara Albrecht. She had been born in Heiligkreutz near Odenwald (northeast of Schriesheim) on 1 May 1741.
They immigrated in 1763 to Russia, arriving in the colony of Anton on 7 September 1764 along with Anna Barbara's brother and his family. They are listed on the 1767 Census of Anton in Household No. 11.
Engelhardt Family in Sarepta
The parish register of Sarepta records that Johann Engelhardt from Anton received permission to resettled to Sarepta on 11 March 1782.
- Eichhorn, Alexander, Jacob & Mary Eichhorn. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Drukerei und Verlag Steinmeier GmbH & Co. Kg, 2012): 392.
- Lang, Gerhard. German Colonists of Denmark on the Volga.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): An56, An62.
- Parish records of Sarepta.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 54.