Euler (Huck / Norka)
There are two Euler families from the German village of Eckartshausen who arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 9 August 1766 aboard the pink Slon under the command of Lieutenant Sergey Panov.
(1) Johannes Euler, son of Adam & A. Margaretha Euler, was baptized 18 December 1727 in Eckartshausen. He had a son, Joh. Heinrich, who was baptized on 7 January 1751 in Eckartshausen.
Johann[es] Euler, a farmer, his wife Anna, and children (Johann Heinrich, age 17; Elisabeth, age 2½) arrived in Oranienbaum. They settled in the Volga German colony of Norka on 15 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 86.
(2) Johann Georg Euler, the son of Johannes & Juliana Euler, was born on 16 February 1733 in Eckartshausen. He married 22 November 1753 to Anna Dorothea Knickel, daughter of Adam & Anna Knickel of Eckartshausen. Anna Dorothea Knickel had been born in August 1734. The parish register of Eckartshausen records that Johann Georg Euler & Anna Dorothea Knickel had five children, all born in Bergheim: (1) Anna Catharina, born 30 October 1754; (2) Elisabeth, born 29 July 1757; (3) Anna, born 10 July 1760; (4) Anna Maria, born 6 November 1762; and (5) Catharina, born 28 March 1765.
[Johann] Georg Eiler, a farmer, his wife Anna Dorothea, and daughters (Elisabeth, age 10; Anna, age 7) arrived in Oranienbaum. They settled in the Volga German colony of Huck on 17 August 1767 where Johann Georg is recorded on the 1767 census in Household No. 81 along with his new wife Anna Maria.
Both the Oranienbaum passenger list and the 1767 census record that both of these Euler families came from the German region of Isenburg.
- Bonner, Wayne H. Volga German Settlers Identified in Isenburg and Other German Church Records Part I (Gardena, CA: Wayne Bonner, 2007): 55.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Hk58, Hk82.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 160.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 252.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #4017, #4018.