There are two Görlitz families that arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 15 September 1766 aboard the snow-brig Die Frau Dietrika under the command of Skipper Joachim Friedrich Luhn and settled in the Volga German colony of Yagodnaya Polyana. They are believed to be father and son, but further research is needed to confirm this relationship.
(1) Johann Heinrich Görlitz (age 57), a farmer, and his wife Maria Barbara settled in the Volga German colony of Yagodyana Polyana on 16 September 1767. Johann Heinrich is recorded there as a widower on the 1767 census living in Household No. 51 along with his son-in-law Johann Heinrich Beutel.
(2) Conrad Görlitz from Wallernhausen & Catharina Schäffer from Ober Laÿs were married on 27 June 1766 in the Lutheran Church of Büdingen.
Johann Konrad Görlitz (age 24) , a farmer, his wife Katharina, and son Johann Heinrich (age 9-months) also settled in Yagodnaya Polyana on 16 September 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 50.
Konrad Görlitz and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Yagodnaya Polyana in Household No. Yp68.
Johannes Görlitz, believed to be a son of Konrad Görlitz, and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Yagodnaya Polyana in Household No. Yp74.
Heinrich Görlitz, son of Johannes Görlitz, relocated from Yagodnaya Polyana to the colony of Zürich before 1834 and is recorded on the 1834 census of Zürich in Household No. 123.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that both Johann Heinrich Görlitz and Johann Konrad Görlitz came from the German district of Darmstadt while the 1767 census records that they came from the area of Nidda.
- 1834 Zürich Census (Household No. 123).
- Kromm, Georg: research reprinted in Flegel, Arthur & Cleo. "Research in Hessen." AHSGR Work Paper XIII (December 1973): 33.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Yp68, Yp74, Yp94.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #717.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 186.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #6111.