Johann Martin Guttmann was born 17 March 1740 in Gersfeld to Johannes Guttmann & Dorothea Heun.
They arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 14 September 1766 aboard a ship under the command of skipper Reders.
He married in Russia to Amalia Kämmerzell who was born 3 November 1747 in Maiersbach.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Frank on 1 September 1767, and they and their newborn son Johann Heinrich are recorded in Household No. 112 on the 1767 Census of Frank.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fk014, Fk032, Fk134.
- Parish records of Gersfeld, Fulda - Archive of the Evangelical Church of Kurhessen-Waldeck in Kassel (Archion.de).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 439.
- Pleve, Igor. Gutmann Chart.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 406.