Two Habermann families arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766. Their relationship to each other, if any, needs further research - but both came from the German village of Hüttengesäß.
(1) Philipp Habermann, son of Johann Philipp Habermann, was born 16 July 1719 in Hüttengesäß. He married 17 December 1749 to Maria Barbara Rudel, daughter of Philipp & Maria Katharina Rudel. Maria Barbara was baptized 16 May 1732 in Hüttengesäß.
The baptisms of 6 of their children are recorded in Hüttengesäß: (1) Johann Caspar, baptized 12 March 1750; (2) Hanna, baptized 22 May 1753; (3) Philip, baptized 12 March 1755; (4) Johann Ernst, baptized 20 December 1757; (5) Johannes, baptized 12 March 1759; (6) Johann Heinrich, baptized 14 April 1761, died 12 May 1761; and (7) Johannes, baptized 18 June 1765.
Philipp Habermann, a farmer, his wife Barbara, and children (Kaspar, age 16; Anna, age 14; Philipp, age 12; Johann [Ernst], age 9; Hans, age ½) arrived in Oranienbaum.
Anna Barbara, widow of Philipp Habermann, is recorded on the 1767 census of Balzer in Household No. 80 as the new wife of Kaspar Köhler. Her children by Philipp Habermann are also recorded there (Johann Kaspar, age 18; Anna Christina, age 16; Philipp, age 13; and Johannes, age 8). They had arrived in Balzer on 1 July 1767.
Kaspar Habermann (age 47) and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Balzer in Household No. Bz072.
Ernst Habermannn (age 38) and his family are recorded on the 1798 census in Laub (Lb30).
(2) Kaspar Habermann, son of Valentin Habermann & Catharina Rudel, was born 13 August 1719 in Hüttengesäß. He married on 6 January 1745 in Hüttengesäß to Anna Barbara Heimbuch, daughter of Hans Heimbuch & Catharina Kuhn. She had been born in Hüttengesäß on 20 November 1719.
The baptisms of one child of Kaspar Habermann & Anna Barbara Heimbuch have been located in the parish register of Hüttengesäß: (1) Catharina, baptized 3 February 1743.
An unnamed [Kaspar] Habermann, a farmer, his wife Barbara, and children (Elisabeth, age 21; Valentin, age 15; Anna, age 14; Philipp, age 12; Johann, age 6; Barbara, age 2½) arrived in Oranienbaum.
Daughter Catharina Haberman married Heinrich Heft and is recorded on the 1767 census of Balzer in Household No. 8 along with her brother Valentin Habermann (age 16).
Daughter Elisabeth Habermann is recorded on the 1767 census of Balzer in Household No. 86 along with her new husband Lorenz Kalbin. Recorded with them are 2 of her Habermann siblings (Philipp, age 12; Johann Ernst, age 7). They had settled there on 1 July 1767.
Elisabeth Habermann (age 51) is recorded on the 1798 census of Balzer in Household No. Bz095 as the wife of Lorenz Kalbin.
Valentin Habermann (age 46) from Balzer and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Stahl am Tarlyk in Household No. St50.
In 1790, Philipp Habermann and his family moved from Stahl am Tarlyk to Balzer.
Philipp Habermann (age 43) from Stahl am Tarlyk is recorded on the 1798 census of Balzer in Household No. Bz080.
In 1788, Johannes Habermann moved from Balzer to Kukkus.
Johannes Habermann (age 36) from Balzer and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Kukkus in Household No. Kk22.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that both of these Habermann families came from the German region of Isenburg.
- Bonner, Wayne. Volga German Settlers Identified in Isenburg and Other German Church Records (Gardena, CA: Wayne Bonner, 2007): 11, 12, 36, & 63.
- List of those recruited by Johann Facius from 13 November 1765 to 18 February 1766.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bz003, Bz072, Bz080, Bz095, Kk22, Lb30; St50, Mv0048, Mv2819.
- Parish register of Hüttengesas.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Nordost-Institut, 1999): 74 & 98.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3011, #3016.
Entry from the Facius List recording the family of Casper Habermann. It reads: " Actum Aufenau den 11-ten Februar 1766 . . . Caspar Habermann, 40 Jahre alt, von Hüttengesäß, mit Frau 38 Jahre alt, 3 Söhnen 12; 9; 4 Jahre alt, 4 Töchter 20; 16; 7; 1,5 Jahre alt, ein guter Ackermann reform. Relig. Supplicant."
Source: Dmitry Habermann.