Johannes Helfenbein married on 12 April 1766 in Büdingen to Susanna Lufft.
Johann[es] Helfenbein and his wife Susanna arrived from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum on 13 September 1766 aboard the Russian galliot Citadel under the command of midshipman Grigory Bukharin.
Johannes Helffenbein [sic] and his wife Anna Susanna are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Stephan on 24 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 25.
Gertrude Helfenbein from Lannenhausen [sic] married in Büdingen on 25 April 1766 to Johannes Felde from Kleinmoor, northeast of Schlitz. They arrived from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum on 29 August 1766 aboard the ship Apollo under the command of skipper Detlov Merberg. She is recorded on the 1798 Census in Kraft at Household No. Kf44 married to Johannes Schneider.
Three siblings (Johann Jakob Helfenbein, age 30; Anna Maria Helfenbein, age 26; Johann Georg Helfenbein, age 21), presumed to be children of the above referenced Johannes & Anna Susanna Helfenbein, are recorded on the 1798 census of Stephan in Household No. Sp13 along with a note that Johann Jakob Helfenbein is working in Dobrinka.
Georg Helfenbein and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Stephan in Household No. 62.
The Büdingen parish register records that Gertrude Helfenbein came from the German village of Lannenhausen [Landenhausen]. The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Johann Helfenbein came from the German region of Riedesel. The 1767 census records that Johannes Helfenbein came from the German village of Lanhausen [Landenhausen].
- 1834 Stephan Census (Household No. 62).
- 1850 Stephan Census (Households No. 93, 94).
- 1857 Stephan Census (Households No. 94, 95).
- Die Geschichte der Wolgadeutschen vom Vogelsberg zur Wolga (Alsfeld, Wiesbaden: Die Albert-Schweitzer-Schule, 1990).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Sp13.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #523, #589.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet 1764-1767 Band 4 (Goettingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis; 2008): 226.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #5189, #5250.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #2283-2284.