Johann Balthasar Heptin [variously recorded also as Hepting and Hebdin], son of Michael Heptin, married in Wolferborn on 11 April 1736 to Anna Maria Stürtz.
Among the children of Johann Balthasar Heptin & Anna Maria Stürtz whose baptisms are recorded in the parish register of Wolferborn are: (1) Maria Elisabetha, baptized 14 January 1742; and (2) Johannes, baptized 17 January 1745.
Johann[es] Hep[tin], a farmer, and his wife Susanna [Herdt] arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766 along with his sister Maria Elisabeth who had married Heinrich Herdt.
(1) Maria Elisabeth Herdt née Heptin and her husband Heinrich Herdt are recorded on the 1767 census of Huck in Household No. 52. They had settled in Huck on 1 July 1767.
Maria Elisabeth Herdt née Hept[in] and family are recorded on the 1798 census of Huck in Household No. Hk08. [See Herdt Family.]
(2) Johannes Heptin and his wife Susanna Herdt are recorded on the 1767 census of Huck in Household No. 49. They had settled in Huck on 1 July 1767.
Johannes Heptin and his wife are recorded on the 1798 census of Huck in Household No. Hk35.
Susanna Herdt is believed to be the sister of Johannes Herdt from Oberreichenbach, who arrived with the Heptin family in Oranienbaum and also settled in Huck. Susanna Herdt is recorded in the parish registers of Unterreichenbach and Büdingen as the baptismal sponsor for two of her brother Johannes Herdt's children.
Both the Oranienbaum passenger list and the 1767 census record that Johannes Heptin came from the German region of Isenburg.
There are no known surviving male lines of this Heptin family among the Volga German colonies.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Hk08, Hk35.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt. German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #1208.
- Parish register of Büdingen.
- Parish register of Unterreichenbach.
- Parish register of Wolferborn.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 152, 153.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766 (Saratov: State Technical University, 2010): #3228.