Johann Jacob Horn, son of Paulus Horn & Maria Dorothea Kessler, was born on 14 November 1734 and baptized on 21 November 1734 in the Evangelical Church of Steinbach, today part of the parish of Fernwald. He married to Anna Catharina Schneider, daughter of Heinrich Schneider & Maria Dorothea Petri, on 30 July 1760 in the same church. Anna Catharina had been baptized there on 2 November 1735.
They had two known children, each baptized in Steinbach: (1) Johann Caspar, on 25 December 1761; and (2) Anna Margaretha, on 23 September 1764. Anna Catharina also had a daughter by his first husband (Johann Jost Gerhard (bapt. 25 October 1722 - died 8 November 1758): Maria Magdalena Gerhard, who had been born on 12 December 1757 in Steinbach.
Johann Jacob Horn, a farmer, his wife Katharina, and children (Maria, age 9; Johann, age 5) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766 aboard the galliot Anna Catharina under the command of Skipper Johann Joachim Janson.
All four of them are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
Widower Johann Jakob and the children (Maria, age 11; Kasapar, age 6) are recorded on an appendix to the 1767 census of Paulskaya in Houseohld No. 52.
Kaspar Horn from Orlovskaya is recorded the 1798 census of Hockerberg in Household No. Hb06.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Johann Jakob Horn came from the German region of Darmstadt. The 1767 census records that he came from the German village of Steinbach in the Darmstadt region.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Hb06.
- Mai, Brent Alan. Transport of the Volga Germans from Oranienbaum to the Colonies on the Volga, 1766-1767 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1998): 5083-5086.
- Parish records of Steinbach (LDS Film No. 1269893).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 361.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3907.
- Stumpf, Otto & Hanno Müller. Familienbuch Steinbach: Kreis Gießen (Darmstadt: Hessische Familienseschichtliche Vereinigung, 1994): 59 & 116.