Johann Jacob Horn, son of Paulus Horn & Maria Dorothea Kessler, was born on 14 November 1734 and baptized on 21 November 1734 in the Evangelical Church of Steinbach, today part of the parish of Fernwald. He married to Anna Catharina Schneider, daughter of Heinrich Schneider & Maria Dorothea Petri, on 30 July 1760 in the same church. Anna Catharina had been baptized there on 2 November 1735.
They had two known children, each baptized in Steinbach: (1) Johann Caspar, on 25 December 1761; and (2) Anna Margaretha, on 23 September 1764.
Anna Catharina had been previously married to Johann Jost Gerhard. He had been baptized 25 October 1722 and died 8 November 1758. They had a daughter, Maria Magdalena Gerhard, who was born 12 December 1757 in Steinbach.
Johann Jacob Horn, a farmer, his wife Katharina, son Johann [Kaspar] (age 5), stepdaughter Maria [Gerhard] (age 9) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766 aboard the galliot Anna Catharina under the command of Skipper Johann Joachim Janson.
Johann Jacob Horn, his wife Anna Catrina, and children (Maria Magdalena, age 9¼; Johan Casper, age 5¼) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
Widower Johann Jakob and the children (Maria [Gerhard], age 11; Kasapar, age 6) are recorded on an appendix to the 1767 census of Paulskaya in Household No. 52.
In 1785, Johann Jakob Horn and his family moved from Hockerberg to Basel.
Kaspar Horn from Orlovskaya is recorded the 1798 census of Hockerberg in Household No. Hb06.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Johann Jakob Horn came from the German region of Darmstadt. The 1767 census records that he came from the German village of Steinbach in the Darmstadt region.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bs45, Hb06, Mv0881.
- Mai, Brent Alan. Transport of the Volga Germans from Oranienbaum to the Colonies on the Volga, 1766-1767 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1998): 5083-5086.
- Parish records of Steinbach (LDS Film No. 1269893).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 361.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3907.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #6052-6055.
- Stumpf, Otto & Hanno Müller. Familienbuch Steinbach: Kreis Gießen (Darmstadt: Hessische Familienseschichtliche Vereinigung, 1994): 59, 116.