Johann Jacob Horn, son of Paulus Horn & Maria Dorothea Kessler, was born on 14 November 1734 and baptized on 21 November 1734 in the Evangelical Church of Steinbach, today part of the parish of Fernwald. He married to Anna Catharina Schneider, daughter of Heinrich Schneider & Maria Dorothea Petri, on 30 July 1760 in the same church. Anna Catharina had been baptized there on 2 November 1735.
They had two known children, each baptized in Steinbach: (1) Johann Caspar, on 25 December 1761; and (2) Anna Margaretha, on 23 September 1764. Anna Catharina also had a daughter by his first husband (Johann Jost Gerhard (bapt. 25 October 1722 - died 8 November 1758): Maria Magdalena Gerhard, who had been born on 12 December 1757 in Steinbach.
Johann Jacob Horn and his family emigrated to Russia, departing from the port at Lübeck on the galliot Anna Catharina, with the skipper Johann Joachim Janson at the helm. They arrived at the port of Oranienbaum, near St. Petersburg, on 8 August 1766.
Johann Jakob and the children arrived in the colony of Paulskaya on 3 August 1767 where they spent the first winter and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 52. The following year, they moved on to the colony of Orlovskaya.
Son Johann Kaspar moved to the colony of Hockerberg, where he is recorded on the 1798 Census in Household No. Hb06.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Hb06.
- Parish records of Steinbach (LDS Film No. 1269893).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 361.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 254.
- Stumpf, Otto & Hanno Müller. Familienbuch Steinbach: Kreis Gießen (Darmstadt: Hessische Familienseschichtliche Vereinigung, 1994): 59 & 116.