There are two related Kammerzell families that immigrated to the Volga German colonies:
(1) Johannes & Dorothea Kammerzell and four of their children (Elisabeth, age 21; Amalia, age 19; Johannes, age 16; Valentin, age 12) arrived from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum on 14 September 1766 aboard a ship under the command of skipper Reders. The parents are believed to have died on the journey from Oranienbaum to Saratov.
Johannes Kammerzell and his brother Valentin settled in Frank on 1 September 1767. Johannes & Valentin are recorded on the 1767 Census of Frank in Household No. 112 living with the family of Johann Martin Guttmann. Guttmann was married to their sister Amalia. Amalia has been born 3 November 1748 in Maierbach, and baptized in neighboring Gersfeld.
(2) Elisabeth Kemerzell, daughter of Adam Georg Kemerzell (a linen weaver from Hersfeld [sic] on the Röne) & Dorothea Burchard (from Hersfeld), was baptized on 2 August 1766 in St. Jakob's Lutheran Church in Lübeck.
Adam [sic] Kammerzell, his wife Dorothea, and children (Catharina, age 15; Dorothea, age 10; Susanna, age 8; Johann, age 5; Elisabeth, age 4-weeks) immigrated to Russia. They arrived in Oranienbaum on the same ship with the above mentioned Johannes and his family. He arrived in Walter on 10 September 1767 along with a new wife Anna Margaretha and the remaining children (Catharina, Susanna, Johannes, & Georg).
The 1767 census of Frank records that these Kammerzell families came from the Gersfeld region.
These two Kammerzell lines are related and go back for six generations to Heinrich Kemmerzell who died in 1605 in Gersfeld.
Valentin is recorded on the 1798 Census in Frank in Household No. Fk068. His brother Johann is also recorded there, in Household No. Fk103. Johann Georg's widow, Margaretha, is recorded on the 1798 Census in Walter in Household No. Wt086. Daughters Katharina and Susanna are also recorded there, in Households No. Wt005 & Wt030 respectively.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999):Fk068, Fk103, Wt068, Wt086.
- Parish records for Gersfeld (Archion.de).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 438.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 317.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): Docs. No. 6413 & 6448.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt. German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767) : Origins and Destinations (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #1328.
Larry & France Kammerzell
Edward F. Wagner