There are two Legler families from Weiler who immigrated to Russia:
(1) Johann Leonhard Legler, son of Hanns Joerg & Maria Magdalena Legler, was born 25 January 1707 in Weiler, Württemberg. He married Maria Elisabeth (surname unknown) - 20 years his younger - and they had a number of children. The family moved to Denmark (now Schleswig-Holstein) where they settled on 8 November 1764 in the colony of Westscheide.
They immigrated to Russia, arriving in Reinwald on 14 July 1766 where they are recorded on the 1767 Census in Household No. 8.
(2) Georg Christoph Legler, son of Johann Martin Legler (23 December 1673 - 13 May 1737) and Anna Magdalena Berckindem, was born 13 April 1712 in Weiler, Württemberg. He married 15 July 1738 in Weiler to Christina Magdalena Schock, daughter of Johann Adam Schock & Anna Barbara Bilger. Christoph Legler, his wife Christina Schock, and children (Johann Jakob, age 23; Christoph Friedrich, age 20; Solomon, age 18; Karl, age 15; Johann Adam, age 12; Sophia Christina, age 10; Johann Georg, age 3) moved to Schleswig-Holstein (Denmark) arriving in Flensburg on 12 June 1762. Eventually on 8 November 1764 they settled in the colony of Westscheide.
Christoph and his family then immigrated to Russia, arriving in Dönhof on 21 July 1766. They are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 47 and their son Solomon (baptized 21 April 1745 in Weiler) and his family are recorded in Household No. 49.
Karl Legler and his family are recorded on the 1775 census of Grimm in Household No. 62.
The widow and children of Solomon Legler are recorded on the 1798 census of Dönhof in Household No. Dh003.
Michael Legler, son of Solomon Legler, and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Franzosen in Household No. 30 along with a note that son Johann Jakob Legler has relocated to the colony of Bauer [however, he is not recorded on the 1834 census of Bauer].
This Legler line has been traced back to Hans Burkhard Legler who was born about 1625 and died 6 March 1661 in Weiler, Württemberg.
- 1775 Grimm Census (Household No. 62).
- 1834 Franzosen Census (Household No. 30).
- Clausen, Otto. Chronik der Heide- und Moorkolonisation im Herzogtum Schleswig, 1760-1765 (Husum: Husum Druck- und Verlagsgesellschaft, 1981): 829.
- Eichhorn, Alexander, Jacob & Mary Eichhorn. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Drukerei und Verlag Steinmeier GmbH & Co. Kg, 2012): B-966, B-967.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Dh003, Dh094, Gm017, Kt06.
- Parish records of Weiler (LDS International Film No. 1184767).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 354.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 31.