Heinrich Conrad Lichtenwald, son of Johann Heinrich Lichtenwald & Marie Marguerite L'oiseau, was baptized on 8 September 1740 in Friedrichstal.
He immigrated with his parents and siblings to Denmark (today part of Schleswig-Holstein in Germany) where he married on 12 August 1762 to Margaretha Barbara Altergott, daughter of Georg Friedrich Altergott & Elisabeth Gorgus.
This Lichtenwald couple, along with the Altergott family, immigrated to Russia, arriving at the port of Oranienbaum near St. Petersburg aboard the ship Adler on 3 June 1766.
They settled in the colony of Dönhof on 18 June 1767. They are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 92.
On the 1798 census, they are still living in Dönhof, recorded in Household No. Dh024.
Martin Lichtenwald from Dönhof and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Franzosen in Household No. 73.
Christian Lichtenwald from Dönhof and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Franzosen in Household No. 93.
Heinrich Conrad was the only Lichtenwald to immigrate to Russia. The remainder of the Lichtenwald family left Schleswig-Holstein in 1763 and returned to Friedrichstal in Germany.
- 1834 Franzosen Census (Households No. 73, 93).
- Eichhorn, Alexander. The immigration of German colonists to Denmark and their subsequent emigration to Russia in the years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Steinmeier, 2012): 503.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Dh010, Dh024.
- Parish records of Friedrichstal (LDS Film No. 1238257).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 366.
- Pleve, Igor. List of Colonists to Russia in 1766 "Reports by Ivan Kulberg" (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 69.
Heinrich Lichtenwald recorded on a marker in Schleswig commemorating the Volga Germans who had settled there before immigrating to Russia.
Source: Jorgelina Fischer.