There are three Mattern families from the German village of Klarental that are recorded in the colony of Beauregard. They are believed to be father and children, but this relationship needs to be confirmed by further research.
(1) Heinrich Mattern (age 56), a farmer, his wife Sophia, and children (Jonas, age 16; Georg, age 14; Elisabeth, age 8; Peter, age 5) are recorded on the 1767 census of Beauregard in Household No. 26. They had settled there on 27 August 1766.
In 1788, son Georg Mattern and his family moved from Reinhard to Beauregard. The 1798 census of Katharinenstadt records Daniel Mattern from Beauregard in Household No. Ka042. The 1798 census of Ober-Monjou records Philipp Mattern from Beauregard in Household No. Om30.
The 1767 census records that Heinrich Mattern came from the German town of Danzig, but this is believed to have been mistakenly taken from the previous entry. The Mattern family came from the village of Klarenthal which is today part of the municipality of Wiesbaden.
(2) Wilhelm Mattern (age 22), a farmer, and his wife Philippina settled in the Volga German colony of Beauregard on 27 August 1766. They are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 27 along with their 9-month-old son, Johann.
The 1767 census records that Wilhelm Mattern came from the German region of Wiesbaden.
(3) Anna Margaretha Mattern, daughter of Heinrich Mattern & Elisabetha Margaretha Arnold [his first wife], was born 1 November 1736 in Kloster Klarental [Klarental Abby] which is today located in the municipality of Wiesbaden.
Anna Margaretha Mattern married Johann Adam Engel, son of Christoph Engel & Justina Elisabetha Krieger from Schierstein, on 11 February 1764 in the Catholic Church in Landau an der Pfalz.
Adam Engel, a farmer, his wife Anna [née Mattern] (age 26), and children (Christoph, age 3; Elisabeth, age 8-days) are recorded on the 1767 census of Beauregard in Household No. 13.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bo11, Bo31, Bo32, Ka042, Om30, Mv2383.
- Parish register of Klarenthal.
- Parish register of Landau an der Pfalz (LDS Film No. 488340).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 184.
- Schmidt, Natalia. History in Miniatures: Individual Volga Colonies (Kaliningrad: Kaliningrad Books, 2020): 135-136.